Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The Non-Invisible Invisible Zipper

The pillows for my mom are finished! I'm on a roll. Here's hoping I can continue the momentum.

 I wanted a zip pillow finish, but I dislike working with invisible zippers. When the original pillows from the book came home to me, two of the invisible zippers were broken. Invisible zippers are finicky and in my experience they don't wear well.  So, I looked for a new zipper option.
Low and behold I found a brilliant zipper tutorial by Autumn on Sew Mama Sew.  That Sew Mama Sew site is one of the best online sewing resources.  I installed this zipper in seven minutes flat.  Easy peasy and uses a regular zipper.
The greatest thing is that it has its own invisibility cloak.  The flap covers the zipper and adds a little punch to the back of the pillow.  Love that.  It's clean, neat and professional looking.
I won't be making pillow backs any other way.

12 comments:

Laura said...

Thanks for the information. What a great idea!!

Kristina @ withaKquilting said...

just a thought...but you could use a button up shirt as the pillow back. this is what i do and it solves the zipper problem. although...i love what you did with these pillow covers! they are beautiful!!

Jodie said...

I don't believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny or invisible zippers.

OneLittleThread said...

Loving the Invisibility Cloak idea!

Suz J said...

Very Maxwell Smart and Agent 99 - oops, revealing my age!!!

Mego said...

Beautiful...generally I use Katie's tutorial for the zipper in the seam but this adds a little 'zip'...Thanks for the info!

Di~ said...

I wish I weren't scared of zippers! :) nice job on yours!!!

Erika Mulvenna said...

Hey, that is an awesome way to hide a zipper! I absolutely love those pillows. LOVE!

Amira@littlemushroomcap said...

Lovely.. I bought your book recently.. I should have bought it earlier!! It is such a great book.. I am itching to start despite of my a lot to do pile.. Lol.. Great job, keep up the great super work

Sally said...

This is a great idea for a zipper! Thanks for the link! I will definitely be trying this one out!

beachiesews said...

I love this method and it is now my "go to, don't do it any other way" method! I call those 2 sided pillows because the second side usually looks as good as the first side!

Mama Pea said...

Pam Damour, the Decorating Diva, has a great video that shows how to put a zipper in a pillow. I love it. Also really easy and an invisibility cloak. She also sells zipper tape in long rolls. It comes with pulls that you add when you cut the zipper up. They are super easy to install, because you can separate them before installing. Works pretty great. And she claims (as a decorator) one has NEVER separated on her. I used the strategy recently to install a zipper in a pillow and it worked great. :-)