Monday, November 26, 2012

Fireball

I worked on another quilt from the closet. This is the fireball quilt.  I made it to figure out how to spiral with stitch and flip triangles.  I was using it as a class sample, so I wasn't going to finish it, but I like it too much not to.
I'm not usually a border person, but I wanted to extend the firey colors, so I made the spiral the center medallion and added a couple of borders to pump up the volume.
I made the back too, so it's ready to baste and quilt.  As always there is a quilting decision to be made.
I have an idea for this one.  I'm thinking of a spiral of flames that swirls around the center.  They may repeat and get mixed with some radiating lines.  I'm still sketching the idea, but at least I have a starting place.

13 comments:

Twisted Quilts said...

I got your book and have been playing with stitch and flip triangles. I love the "wonkiness" of them. I made a set of place mats with triangles. I love Fireball. I may start on something similar after Christmas, so creative. We are redoing our beach house. I would love to do this with some beachy colors.

Anna said...

That is so beautiful. I love your work :) the spiral flames sound like a great choice. Looking forward to seeing it finished!

Leanne said...

This is fun, I am looking forward to seeing how you quilt it.

Mary P said...

Ooh I LOVE the borders too! I am not usually a big border fan either but this just makes increases the energy.

Cheryl Arkison said...

Look at you go! I am so jealous of your fire at getting things done. And the time to do it!

Anonymous said...

A spiral was the first thought that came to me. It would continue the "movement" theme/feeling so well. That is one gorgeous 'flimsy'!!!!!

folksmith said...

Love it!

karen @ badlandsquilts said...

Looks great Jackie! What a perfect quilt to warm up a winter day!

SusieDW said...

Glad you came back to this quilt! I loved how the spiral worked out. Looks like lots of creativity and planning. Quilting idea sounds perfect. Would be cool if a variegated thread was available in these colors!

em's scrapbag said...

Awesome quilt. I think the spiral flames would look really cool.

Laura said...

This quilt is awesome!

SusieDW said...

Jacquie, what is the true color of the dark/black? Black black can be harsh at times. Though, can be just the perfect contrast to set off other colors.

cinzia said...

I am not a border person either but, coincidentally, I just finished making a medallion type quilt. I've been seeing alot of those lately so I was inspired. Your quilt looks great. I am curious to see how you quilt it!